- Establishment of the research area Experimental Software Engineering.
- Development of techniques/methods/tools for modeling software engineering know-how, measuring and evaluating software products and processes as well as reuse.
- Development of techniques/methods/tools for systematic (i.e. planable and controllable) software development.
- Improvement of the transfer of new techniques/methods/tools into the industrial practice
- Principal Investigator in our Proposal "Industrial Mathematics for Computational Engineering" (IMCOME) for a Cluster of Excellence.
Biography (Short Version)
Prof. Dr. Dieter Rombach studied mathematics and computer science at the universities of Karlsruhe and Kaiserslautern. Since 1992, he has held the chair for Software Engineering at the University of Kaiserslautern, and since 1996, he has been Executive Director of the Fraunhofer Institute for Experimental Software Engineering in Kaiserslautern (FhG IESE). From 1984-1991, he was Professor of Computer Science at the University of Maryland, and from 1986-1991 he was Project Manager at NASA/Goddard Space Flight Center.
Prof. Rombach's main research topics can be found in the area of "Software Engineering", especially in methods for developing software with predictable quality, in quantitative methods for measuring and assessing software products and software processes, in languages and methods for developing and using explicit software process models, in process-based software development environments as well as in software reuse. As a consultant, he works for various U.S. American and European companies.
In 1990, Prof. Rombach received the "Presidential Young Investigator Award" from the National Science Foundation (USA) "in recognition of his successful work in the area of Experimental Software Engineering". For his exceptional services rendered to the state of Rhineland-Palatinate and his exemplary commitment to the good of society, he received the Order of Merit of the state of Rhineland-Palatinate in late 2000. Effective 1 January 2003, Prof. Rombach was appointed Fellow of the American Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) in recognition of his achievements in the area of Experimental Software Engineering.
Biography (Long Version): biography-rombach.pdf (27kb)
Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. H. Dieter Rombach
Technische Universität Kaiserslautern
Telephone / Email
Telephone: +49 (631) 205-2895
Secretary: +49 (631) 205-3341
Fax: +49 (631) 205-3331
Email: Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. H. Dieter Rombach
|Superordinated page: Staff|